Re: [carfree_cities] CORRECTION

  • Mari Jüssi
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2012
      Well I think Richard's first email was rather in line with the news story
      -- or rather how this news has evolved in the media.

      Just like Tallinn is not the capital of Finland, there are no DECISIONS nor
      concrete PLANS about free public transport in Tallinn.

      I have also proposed Eltis news editor and ERR English news editors to
      correct this. I am copying my yesterday's letter here.

      Please take the news from Tallinn (about free public transport) with very
      strong reservations

      - There is absolutely no official proposal, scheme, analyses nor
      decision about it

      - There is only one evening newspaper column by mayor

      - Tecnically the March referendum was a public survey � this has
      no legal obligations to the city government (ERR news has been translated
      misleadingly)

      - So all the issue is just something in the media � absolutely no
      realistic scheme nor evidence where does the mayor take the missing 20
      MEUR and at no proposal for additional measures to support the idea

      -

      The same city and the same mayor has at the same time launched a rather
      concrete order for 90 free parking lots in high-rise soviet neighbourhoods
      � offering free land and concrete cash for housing associations for
      building extra parking spaces at the cost of neigbourhood public space,
      green areas and traffic safety � and next to parking lots that are running
      on fee bases.

      If possible, please add this comment to the online news.

      Sustainable transport expert and public transport expert circles in Tallinn
      have been highly critical to the mayor�s idea and inconsistent transport
      policies.

      Greetings
      Mari J�ssi