CORRECTION

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2012
      Capital of ESTONIA to make public transit free:

      http://tinyurl.com/85wfh5k

      My mistake, sorry. Sloppy writing.

      Rick
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.SustainableCityNews.com
      http://www.rickrise.com

    • Mari Jüssi
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 25, 2012
        Well I think Richard's first email was rather in line with the news story
        -- or rather how this news has evolved in the media.

        Just like Tallinn is not the capital of Finland, there are no DECISIONS nor
        concrete PLANS about free public transport in Tallinn.

        I have also proposed Eltis news editor and ERR English news editors to
        correct this. I am copying my yesterday's letter here.

        Please take the news from Tallinn (about free public transport) with very
        strong reservations

        - There is absolutely no official proposal, scheme, analyses nor
        decision about it

        - There is only one evening newspaper column by mayor

        - Tecnically the March referendum was a public survey � this has
        no legal obligations to the city government (ERR news has been translated
        misleadingly)

        - So all the issue is just something in the media � absolutely no
        realistic scheme nor evidence where does the mayor take the missing 20
        MEUR and at no proposal for additional measures to support the idea

        -

        The same city and the same mayor has at the same time launched a rather
        concrete order for 90 free parking lots in high-rise soviet neighbourhoods
        � offering free land and concrete cash for housing associations for
        building extra parking spaces at the cost of neigbourhood public space,
        green areas and traffic safety � and next to parking lots that are running
        on fee bases.

        If possible, please add this comment to the online news.

        Sustainable transport expert and public transport expert circles in Tallinn
        have been highly critical to the mayor�s idea and inconsistent transport
        policies.

        Greetings
        Mari J�ssi