mood of the US people

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2012
      Hi All,

      This landed in my in-box just now. It's a pretty good
      barometer of how Americans feel today. It's maybe not
      such a bad idea, either.

      Best,

      J.

      Warren Buffett, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the best
      quotes about the debt ceiling:

      "I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just pass a law
      that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all
      sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election. The 26th
      amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months
      & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in
      1971...before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc. Of the 27 amendments to
      the Constitution, seven (7) took 1 year or less to become the law of the
      land...all because of public pressure.

      Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of
      twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do
      likewise.

      In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the
      message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.

      *Congressional Reform Act of 2011*

      1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office
      and receives no pay when they are out of office.

      2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All
      funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security
      system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system,
      and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for
      any other purpose.

      3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

      4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay
      will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

      5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the
      same health care system as the American people.

      6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American
      people.

      7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective
      1/1/12.

      The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen
      made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor,
      not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours
      should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

      ------------------------------------

      If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take
      three days for most people (in the U.S.) to receive the message. Maybe it is
      time.

      THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!!!!! If you agree with the above, pass it on.
      If not, just delete. You are one of my 20. Please keep it going.

      ----- ### -----
      J.H. Crawford
      mailbox@...
      http://www.carfree.com
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/carfreecities
      Video channels:
      http://vimeo.com/jhcrawford/videos
      http://www.youtube.com/user/CarfreeCities
    • Aaron Thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2012
        Debt spending is a vitally important way out of major crises. Consider on a
        personal level, that one needs occasionally to take on debt to study, or
        make an investment of other types. The national case is also clear.

        /Aaron

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2012
          Aaron responded:

          >Debt spending is a vitally important way out of major crises. Consider on a
          >personal level, that one needs occasionally to take on debt to study, or
          >make an investment of other types. The national case is also clear.

          Yes. The problem is, of course, that the other half
          of the Keynesian formula is never followed: in the
          fat years, you pay off the debt.

          I recently ran into an analysis of US debt (IIRC it was
          in the print edition of the NY Times). The real issue
          is that the per-capita federal debt has rises from about
          half of average annual income to nearly twice average
          annual income. (I forget the time span; it's probably
          since about 1970.)

          At some point, debt becomes insupportable, a fact that
          several European countries are now rediscovering.

          As far as the screed that I re-posted, if you want the
          actual facts, see this:

          http://www.factcheck.org/2011/03/congressional-reform-act/

          I think, basically, that this is one more symptom of
          the anger so many people feel against the 1% and their
          notions of their own exceptionalism.

          Best,

          J.

          ----- ### -----
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 31, 2012
            On Jan 31, 2012, at 11:45 AM, Aaron Thomas wrote:

            > Debt spending is a vitally important way out of major crises.
            > Consider on a
            > personal level, that one needs occasionally to take on debt to
            > study, or
            > make an investment of other types. The national case is also clear.

            And of course try running an inventory-based business without debt!

            As Krugman and others have pointed out, national debt is money owed
            to ourselves. A country shouldn't be required to turn a profit, or
            necessarily even be revenue-neutral.

            The problem we have is that people want infrastructure and services
            that are natural monopolies and thus appropriately provided through
            collective action, but don't want to fund them through taxes. They
            want them to be as free as they appear.

            You can't have a market in roads or water supply etc--I can't go out
            my door and choose from among five or six streets depending on which
            street purveyor has a sale on this morning! Likewise water, sewage,
            and fire & police protection, et al. Health care has also proven to
            be something that the market provides inefficiently and ineffectively
            (US vs. Europe & Japan).

            Back to inventory--cities (and nations) provide inventories of spaces
            and services--including squares, utilities, transport facilities, and
            often transportation modalities themselves (eg, rail services; in
            Japan private and government rail services coexist and cooperate);
            none of this can be done with]out debt even in a high-tax society.

            What we suffer from here is the perception prevalent among Americans
            that everything must be bought and sold and that life is better when
            you do so, and that taxation impedes the buying and selling of every
            physical and social aspect of the culture.

            Cars are so desperately defended by the neandercons because they are
            thought to be a way of privatizing naturally public spaces.

            Carfree cities, transit, national health insurance, and bicycling are
            seen as threats to the "market," event though the market has
            historically failed at providing transportation, water, and health
            care in an equitable and effective manner.

            Government debt, like business debt, simply provides a means to
            engage in long-term projects, and is paid back to the public with
            interest.

            Rick
            http://www.bicyclefixation.com
            http://www.newcolonist.com