Re: [carfree_cities] Tallinn city to Poll Citizens on Free Public Transport

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2012
      Mari said:

      >Tallinn (capital of Estonia) City government will Poll Citizens on Free
      >Public Transport this March
      >
      ><http://news.err.ee/society/ecb6cbaf-3521-4bcf-8979-570dcfe8ab87>http://news.err.ee/society/ecb6cbaf-3521-4bcf-8979-570dcfe8ab87

      I suppose that this proposal will actually cost nearly
      nothing. Here's why:

      Most fares are already discounted or free so the revenue
      loss is not so great.

      The fare recovery ratio is only 40%.

      The costs of collecting a fare are large for both the
      transit operator and the passenger. Nearly all bus
      operations are delayed by fare collection (BRT is an
      exception). This directly increases operating costs.
      The cost of printing, collecting, and checking tickets
      is quite significant, and often quite expensive machines
      must be purchased and maintained. Dealing with all of
      the coins collected also costs some money.

      For the passenger, time is wasted (a lot of it). The need
      to always have exact change or a ticket or transit pass
      in hand is a substantial irritation and time consumer.

      The fear of "doing something wrong" and getting caught
      without a valid ticket, even when a good-faith effort
      was made, is a subtle deterrent to the use of public
      transport. Most people would be acutely embarrassed if
      caught traveling on an invalid ticket.

      Transfers are bad enough without adding the complication
      of additional fare payment and transfer tokens or scrip.

      So, even though the direct savings to the passengers may
      not be all that great, I think the increase in ridership
      may be greater than expected (although probably not huge).

      I see this as a win-win approach and have long advocated
      free urban public transport.

      This story ought to go to the Free Public Transport
      organization. I don't have a contact handy.

      Best,

      Joel

      ----- ### -----
      J.H. Crawford
      mailbox@...
      http://www.carfree.com
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/carfreecities
      Video channels:
      http://vimeo.com/jhcrawford/videos
      http://www.youtube.com/user/CarfreeCities
    • Mari J├╝ssi
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2012
        Current proposal from the mayor is that it will be free only for local
        residents and not people who are commuting in from other municipalities or
        tourists.
        So this will not make the point for savings from ticket sales and controls.
        Currently hardly anyone buys tickets from drivers because it is made
        relatively more expensive to buy it on the bus compared to kiosk or mobile
        ticket

        Mari

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2012
          Thanks for the clarification, Mari.

          Maybe some of the advantages of a truly free system
          can be put forward to the local government.

          (One strategy, used in Switzerland, is to include a
          transit tax in the price of hotel rooms, so tourists
          pay for it.)

          J.