Tallinn city to Poll Citizens on Free Public Transport

  • Mari Jüssi
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2012
      Dear CFC list readers

      Tallinn (capital of Estonia) City government will Poll Citizens on Free
      Public Transport this March

      http://news.err.ee/society/ecb6cbaf-3521-4bcf-8979-570dcfe8ab87

      This proposal has come totally out from the blue. Tallinn just has drafted
      a new public transport plan in August and there is no proposal of
      considering free fares for residents, nor it has never been proposed by
      transport professionals. Income from ticket sales is 20 million a year and
      now that the mayor has shown the sources for finding this money for "free
      public transport" this money is urgently needed for development of public
      transport. For regular city-drivers the ticket price is not an argument for
      choosing the car and those drivers who complain about ticket prices either
      do not know the monthly ticket prices (18 eur) or have "a free" car from
      their company.
      Of course , local elections are coming in 2013 and the mayor who has
      proposed it is in the middle of several media scandals, so this seems to be
      just their way of dealing with elections and PR.

      Any comments?

      Greetings
      Mari

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2012
        Mari said:

        >Tallinn (capital of Estonia) City government will Poll Citizens on Free
        >Public Transport this March
        >
        ><http://news.err.ee/society/ecb6cbaf-3521-4bcf-8979-570dcfe8ab87>http://news.err.ee/society/ecb6cbaf-3521-4bcf-8979-570dcfe8ab87

        I suppose that this proposal will actually cost nearly
        nothing. Here's why:

        Most fares are already discounted or free so the revenue
        loss is not so great.

        The fare recovery ratio is only 40%.

        The costs of collecting a fare are large for both the
        transit operator and the passenger. Nearly all bus
        operations are delayed by fare collection (BRT is an
        exception). This directly increases operating costs.
        The cost of printing, collecting, and checking tickets
        is quite significant, and often quite expensive machines
        must be purchased and maintained. Dealing with all of
        the coins collected also costs some money.

        For the passenger, time is wasted (a lot of it). The need
        to always have exact change or a ticket or transit pass
        in hand is a substantial irritation and time consumer.

        The fear of "doing something wrong" and getting caught
        without a valid ticket, even when a good-faith effort
        was made, is a subtle deterrent to the use of public
        transport. Most people would be acutely embarrassed if
        caught traveling on an invalid ticket.

        Transfers are bad enough without adding the complication
        of additional fare payment and transfer tokens or scrip.

        So, even though the direct savings to the passengers may
        not be all that great, I think the increase in ridership
        may be greater than expected (although probably not huge).

        I see this as a win-win approach and have long advocated
        free urban public transport.

        This story ought to go to the Free Public Transport
        organization. I don't have a contact handy.

        Best,

        Joel

        ----- ### -----
        J.H. Crawford
        mailbox@...
        http://www.carfree.com
        Twitter: http://twitter.com/carfreecities
        Video channels:
        http://vimeo.com/jhcrawford/videos
        http://www.youtube.com/user/CarfreeCities
      • Mari Jüssi
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2012
          Current proposal from the mayor is that it will be free only for local
          residents and not people who are commuting in from other municipalities or
          tourists.
          So this will not make the point for savings from ticket sales and controls.
          Currently hardly anyone buys tickets from drivers because it is made
          relatively more expensive to buy it on the bus compared to kiosk or mobile
          ticket

          Mari

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 31, 2012
            Thanks for the clarification, Mari.

            Maybe some of the advantages of a truly free system
            can be put forward to the local government.

            (One strategy, used in Switzerland, is to include a
            transit tax in the price of hotel rooms, so tourists
            pay for it.)

            J.