Re: [carfree_cities] article and comment

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2012
      Hi All,

      The section on Conversions, which first ran in Carbusters,
      is available here:

      http://www.carfree.com/conv_home.html

      It's still fairly basic, but it's the most complete general
      treatment I know of that actually proceeds from the assumption
      that a full carfree conversion IS possible.

      Best,

      Joel

      At 2012-01-06 13:29, you wrote:

      >First an article that may be of interest to some:
      ><http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/arts/design/taking-parking-lots-seriously-as-public-spaces.html?_r=1&hp>http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/arts/design/taking-parking-lots-seriously-as-public-spaces.html?_r=1&hp
      >
      >Second, I shared the recent video of Crawford with an American acquaintance. He responded 'sign me up'. I think that what is really needed is how to transform cities (and other areas) to be car free. For example how can Philadelphia or New York be transformed (what would the stages be, what can be meaningfully done with the space that is freed, how could transportation of goods work, etc). I think, as a start, my acquaintance should ditch his car and struggle with a poor public transportation system and the danger of walking/biking.

      ----- ### -----
      J.H. Crawford
      mailbox@...
      http://www.carfree.com
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/carfreecities
      Video channels:
      http://vimeo.com/jhcrawford/videos
      http://www.youtube.com/user/CarfreeCities
    • Simon Baddeley
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2012
        Reading the comments I struggled to find any that suggested having fewer cars. It makes me wonder if its true or an urban myth that there are people who’d rather be diagnosed with cancer than be told they cannot have a car.

        Simon
        (Long term lobbyist for car free cities, car divorcee (I got the house and - well - everything)

        Simon & Linda Baddeley
        34 Beaudesert Road
        Handsworth
        Birmingham B20 3TG
        United Kingdom
        00 44 121 554 9794 mobile 00 44 7548 820658
        s.j.baddeley@...<mailto:s.j.baddeley@...> 00 44 121 414 5002
        Skype: sibadd or linbadd
        +33 6981758522
        http://democracystreet.blogspot.com<http://democracystreet.blogspot.com/>