January 2012 Issue of The New Colonist Online Now

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2011
      The January 2012 issue of The New Colonist is now online, featuring
      four new articles:

      Book Review: Republic of Drivers (http://newcolonist.com/br-
      One sometimes wonders how it is that the car became a sacrament in
      the United States, far more than in any other country, and how
      driving became a major ritual for ceremonializing the doctrine of
      "freedom." Considering how it increasingly results in both structured
      and circumstantial restriction of actions, of choices, of

      New Year Resolutions for 2012 (http://newcolonist.com/res2012.html)
      It's New Year's Day and you don't have a resolution yet. As Rick
      Perry might say, "Ooops." Don't worry, I have come up with five
      possibilities for you. These are resolutions that should not only
      make your life more enjoyable, but can go a long way towards making
      the world a better, more sustainable place. Choose one, or go all out
      and start all five now!

      A Brush of Genius (http://newcolonist.com/lenfest_plaza.html)
      Even though it is an overcast December afternoon, many people are
      enjoying the newest reclaimed public space in Philadelphia. Lenfest
      Plaza, located just outside the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
      (PAFA) and one block north of City Hall, is already a favorite open-
      air gathering space for students, tourists and center city workers,
      as a place to take a break outside all year long, without the noise
      or smell of the car and bus traffic of the streets.

      East of Market Square (http://newcolonist.com/eastofmarket.html)
      Millcraft Industries and the Urban Redevelopment Authority of
      Pittsburgh announced recently that Millcraft will build a 15 story
      building on the south side of Forbes Avenue between Market Square and
      Wood Street in downtown Pittsburgh. In this building there will be a
      175 room limited-service hotel, about 25,000 square feet of office
      space, ground level retail and restaurants, and onsite parking. This
      would seem to be great news for one of the last remaining blighted
      streets in Pittsburgh's Golden Triangle....

      As well as our many features and services, including hotel
      reservations, worldwide weather, realtime currency exchange rates,
      our extensive blog, and hundreds of articles and reviews in our
      massive archives!

      Happy New Year!