Car Parking in Los Angeles magazine

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2011
      Free car parking: how it klls jobs, cultures, and civic treasuries:

      http://tinyurl.com/cjqmn8q

      Rick
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com

    • Karen Sandness
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
        Wow, that's a great article.

        I can certainly see parking fixation in the Twin Cities, and it has the status of a sacred cow. The result, as in L.A., is a fragmented landscape, and inner city "urban redevelopment" projects that look as if they belong in some suburb: tacky big box stores with parking lots that turn into windswept Arctic tundra-like barriers to pedestrians in the winter.

        There are some more pedestrian-friendly redevelopments, but only in affluent areas, and one potentially attractive development in one of the inner-ring suburbs has very poor bus service. Go figure.

        In transit,
        Karen Sandness
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
          Karnen Sandness said:

          >There are some more pedestrian-friendly redevelopments, but only in affluent areas,

          I noticed long ago that the 1% had figured out how
          nice it was to live away from the cars. This revelation
          came to me in Hilton Head, SC, a gated-community resort.
          Harbour Town was the most expensive real estate on the
          island, and it was... carfree.

          Joel

          J.H. Crawford
          mailbox@...