ground-effect container movers

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2011
      Hi All,

      Interesting update on metro-freight.

      I had never even thought of it back when I was
      trying to figure out how to move containers on
      and off of metro-freighters, but ground-effect
      lift of containers apparently works on smooth
      surfaces.

      When containers full of server racks are moved
      into their server farms, they are levitated
      using the well-know ground effect. A surprisingly
      small amount of relatively low-pressure air
      will lift a large surface and heavy weight. The
      containers are then simply pushed into position
      by four guys.

      I have this on good authority from someone who is
      investigating the establishment of a server farm.
      I can't find it (quickly, at least) on the Internet.

      Best,

      J.

      J.H. Crawford
      mailbox@...