Re: video

  • Christa
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 18, 2011
      "Perhaps we need more videos of how an ordinary life is changed in a carfee
      neighborhood. We need to demonstrate that a place without cars really is a
      more pleasant place to be!"

      Good idea to expand of where there is positive change.

      Santa Barbara is a great example. The city's design makes it attractive to
      walk and cycle. There are plenty of sophisticated cars, but many locals
      prefer to walk and cycle. It seems like the local culture is health
      conscious and recognizes the detriments of automobiles. And the soul to the
      city, serenity, is the antithesis of automobility. This American city is an
      anomaly!

      There should be more documentaries/awareness on what cities have succeeded
      in healthy transportation system and place-making development.

      Christa

    • hkcarley
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 24, 2012
        I think that the bus option has to be more supported (it is probably the only option for many--at least as a transition alternative). As a long commuter trip I personally prefer the Academy bus (NJ) to the NJ Transit trains due to the fact that they are more comfortable (quieter). I also prefer the NJ Transit buses to the local light rail due to the fact that the passenger behavior is more civilized. It seems that until people (at least in NJ) are used to using public transportation they often exhibit what I call territorial behavior (seat hogging, playing loud music, spitting, etc). Buses could be made a whole lot better and if people are told that they should have a rail or nothing they will certainly hold onto their cars like an addict (which they are likely to do anyway). I don't think a rail will be coming to most places in America. I think the first goal should be to get the private cars out.