Re: video

  • chbuckeye
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 16, 2011
      I had a car-bound friend watch the video and he thought it was a bit preachy, and so missed the message I think. So many Americans have zero experience with anything other than a car-bound suburban existence. Even Chicago and NYC are full of cars, and many visitors would rather take a familiar, even if slow, cab than venture down into the mysterious "subway" or take a bus (generally considered the mode of transport for the poor only).

      I thought your narration was fine, and even improved in the more recent version.

      Perhaps we need more videos of how an ordinary life is changed in a carfee neighborhood. We need to demonstrate that a place without cars really is a more pleasant place to be!

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 18, 2011
        Hi,

        I'm craking them out as fast as I can. Did you
        see Blue Dusk and Music in the Streets yet?

        Best,

        J.

        At 2011-12-16 17:12, you wrote:

> [...]
        >> What, specifically, is wrong with the narration?
        >> It has been called:
        >>
        >> stilted
        >> sounding read, not spoken
        >> rushed
        >>
        >> I grant that my early attempts at narration were
        >> awful, but many people think it has improved a
        >> good deal since then. I would do practically
        >> anything to avoid having to bring in a narrator,
        >> as it would severely cramp my style, to say
        >> nothing of the zero budget for this work.
        >>
        >> 2) Should the structure of the film be changed?
        >> Now it begins with a long litany of all that's
        >> wrong with cars and then moves on to the carfree
        >> solution. It came up in conversation today that
        >> maybe the film should START with the solution
        >> and only then move on to the detailed reasons
        >> that we need the carfree solution.
        >>
        >> What opinions do you have? There may, of course,

        ----- ### -----
        J.H. Crawford
        mailbox@...
        http://www.carfree.com
        Video channels:
        http://vimeo.com/jhcrawford/videos
        http://www.youtube.com/user/CarfreeCities
      • Christa
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 18, 2011
          "Perhaps we need more videos of how an ordinary life is changed in a carfee
          neighborhood. We need to demonstrate that a place without cars really is a
          more pleasant place to be!"

          Good idea to expand of where there is positive change.

          Santa Barbara is a great example. The city's design makes it attractive to
          walk and cycle. There are plenty of sophisticated cars, but many locals
          prefer to walk and cycle. It seems like the local culture is health
          conscious and recognizes the detriments of automobiles. And the soul to the
          city, serenity, is the antithesis of automobility. This American city is an
          anomaly!

          There should be more documentaries/awareness on what cities have succeeded
          in healthy transportation system and place-making development.

          Christa

        • hkcarley
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 24, 2012
            I think that the bus option has to be more supported (it is probably the only option for many--at least as a transition alternative). As a long commuter trip I personally prefer the Academy bus (NJ) to the NJ Transit trains due to the fact that they are more comfortable (quieter). I also prefer the NJ Transit buses to the local light rail due to the fact that the passenger behavior is more civilized. It seems that until people (at least in NJ) are used to using public transportation they often exhibit what I call territorial behavior (seat hogging, playing loud music, spitting, etc). Buses could be made a whole lot better and if people are told that they should have a rail or nothing they will certainly hold onto their cars like an addict (which they are likely to do anyway). I don't think a rail will be coming to most places in America. I think the first goal should be to get the private cars out.