Re: [carfree_cities] Re: video

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 11, 2011
      thanks!

      J.

      ----- ### -----
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 11, 2011
        Hi Ian,

        Can't get to 2:30 but did manage 4:50 in the
        latest draft; might cut that to 4:30 somehow,
        but otherwise there's just no contect.

        Thanks & best regards,

        J.

        ----- ### -----
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 11, 2011
          Hi Karen,

          I was following your trip to Cuba; want to go myself.

          As far as the video goes, there is now a draft on
          Vimeo that's less than 5 min.:

          http://vimeo.com/33408297

          I still have work to do on the narration, but I'm
          pretty determined to do it myself. If all else
          fails, though, I may bring someone in.

          Thanks,

          Joel

          ----- ### -----
          J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities
          mailbox@... . http://www.carfree.com
        • chbuckeye
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 16, 2011
            I had a car-bound friend watch the video and he thought it was a bit preachy, and so missed the message I think. So many Americans have zero experience with anything other than a car-bound suburban existence. Even Chicago and NYC are full of cars, and many visitors would rather take a familiar, even if slow, cab than venture down into the mysterious "subway" or take a bus (generally considered the mode of transport for the poor only).

            I thought your narration was fine, and even improved in the more recent version.

            Perhaps we need more videos of how an ordinary life is changed in a carfee neighborhood. We need to demonstrate that a place without cars really is a more pleasant place to be!

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 18, 2011
              Hi,

              I'm craking them out as fast as I can. Did you
              see Blue Dusk and Music in the Streets yet?

              Best,

              J.

              At 2011-12-16 17:12, you wrote:

> [...]
              >> What, specifically, is wrong with the narration?
              >> It has been called:
              >>
              >> stilted
              >> sounding read, not spoken
              >> rushed
              >>
              >> I grant that my early attempts at narration were
              >> awful, but many people think it has improved a
              >> good deal since then. I would do practically
              >> anything to avoid having to bring in a narrator,
              >> as it would severely cramp my style, to say
              >> nothing of the zero budget for this work.
              >>
              >> 2) Should the structure of the film be changed?
              >> Now it begins with a long litany of all that's
              >> wrong with cars and then moves on to the carfree
              >> solution. It came up in conversation today that
              >> maybe the film should START with the solution
              >> and only then move on to the detailed reasons
              >> that we need the carfree solution.
              >>
              >> What opinions do you have? There may, of course,

              Video channels:
              http://vimeo.com/jhcrawford/videos
              http://www.youtube.com/user/CarfreeCities
            • Christa
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 18, 2011
                "Perhaps we need more videos of how an ordinary life is changed in a carfee
                neighborhood. We need to demonstrate that a place without cars really is a
                more pleasant place to be!"

                Good idea to expand of where there is positive change.

                Santa Barbara is a great example. The city's design makes it attractive to
                walk and cycle. There are plenty of sophisticated cars, but many locals
                prefer to walk and cycle. It seems like the local culture is health
                conscious and recognizes the detriments of automobiles. And the soul to the
                city, serenity, is the antithesis of automobility. This American city is an
                anomaly!

                There should be more documentaries/awareness on what cities have succeeded
                in healthy transportation system and place-making development.

                Christa

              • hkcarley
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 24, 2012
                  I think that the bus option has to be more supported (it is probably the only option for many--at least as a transition alternative). As a long commuter trip I personally prefer the Academy bus (NJ) to the NJ Transit trains due to the fact that they are more comfortable (quieter). I also prefer the NJ Transit buses to the local light rail due to the fact that the passenger behavior is more civilized. It seems that until people (at least in NJ) are used to using public transportation they often exhibit what I call territorial behavior (seat hogging, playing loud music, spitting, etc). Buses could be made a whole lot better and if people are told that they should have a rail or nothing they will certainly hold onto their cars like an addict (which they are likely to do anyway). I don't think a rail will be coming to most places in America. I think the first goal should be to get the private cars out.