December New Colonist Online Now

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2011
      The December issue of the New Colonist is online now at http://
      www.colonist.com. Here are our featured articles for this month:

      A Dance with the Street

      http://www.newcolonist.com/streetdance.html
      In the middle of Los Angeles's Miracle Mile, there is a remarkable
      building that, you could say, dances with the street. Not literally,
      of course; it is as immobile as any other edifice. But because of its
      thoughtful, clever, and, shall we say, compassionate design, it
      interacts with the street life on all four sides of the busy block it
      occupies in a way that the neoBrutalist shoebox skyscrapers so common
      in the US inevitably fail to do.

      No Matter How You Slice the OccuPie....

      http://www.newcolonist.com/occupie.html
      I don't know exactly why I am setting out to write this article. I
      have not gone out to protest at one of the many Occupy events around
      the country, yet I share this unknowing uncertainty with the
      protesters. I don't know why, but like many Americans, both part of
      the 99 percent and the rest, I sense there is something wrong.

      Masters of War...and Finance

      http://www.newcolonist.com/warbucks.html
      A friend commented recently that a colleague's new job "demonizing
      the oil industry" is too easy; one should choose tougher targets. So
      perhaps it is inappropriate to write about the World Bank, when so
      many have already said so much about its destructive policies.
      Nevertheless, I couldn't help but be amused at the realization that
      the architects of the two most unpopular wars the US has fought in
      recent history (Vietnam and Iraq) both went on to become presidents
      of the World Bank.

      Wheerlchairs in the Snow Alas

      http://www.newcolonist.com/snowedin.html
      Regardless of physical ability, no one enjoys the inconvenience of
      snow-covered roads or walkways. But wheelchair users in particular
      confront obstacles alien to those who travel on foot. Those of us on
      wheels face particular difficulties that un-shoveled sidewalks and
      blocked curb cuts cause in a so-called "winter wonderland."

      And don't forget our blog, our various services, and our extensive
      archives, all at the New Colonist, where we cover "City places for
      city people."

      Rick
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com