Re: Freeways, human-scale transit, & the economy [CORRECTION]

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24, 2011
      Previous mail included wrong URL for the Elly Blue article--now
      corrected.

      Two excellent articles centered on bicycling and the economy:

      From Elly Blue, writing in Grist, comes "Tearign down urban freeways
      to make room for a new bicycle economy," with plenty of hard numbers
      on the financial and civic futility of addressing congestion with
      freeways:

      http://tinyurl.com/3sxgqoe

      And from Jay Walljasper, writing for Planetizen, we have "The
      surprising rise of Minneapolis as a top bike town," examining how
      this frigid heartland city is moving from car-addiction to
      accommodating human-powered travel despite traumatic winters, sprawl,
      and recession (some intersections see more bike than car traffic, and
      have been rebuilt to reflect that):

      http://t.co/U7I7ZV54

      Regarding winter, I find it odd that people who will cross-country
      ski without a second thought, will think that cycling (with studded
      tires), a physiologically almost identical activity, is "impossible"
      in the same weather, wearing the same clothes....

      Must -reads for this week.

      Rick

      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com