Re: Minneapolis� Midtown Greenway: Good f or biz , Good for bik

  • Karen Sandness
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2011
      As a Minneapolis resident, I can assure you that the Midtown Greenway has great potential as a commuter route. In fact, I know people who use it as such. It runs parallel to Lake Street, one of the busiest and most diverse crosstown streets in the city, and connects to the Grand Rounds routes around the urban lakes, the bike paths leading to the western suburbs, and to the routes along the Mississippi River. For those headed downtown, there are plenty of low-traffic streets to take.

      If people are not using it as a commuting artery, that is their choice and not the fault of the layout.

      Pedestrians are another matter. If I'm going to walk to the businesses along Lake Street, I'll walk on the sidewalks along Lake Street instead of going two blocks out of my way.

      I have not yet tried the public bikes (there aren't any near where I live), but I have looked at the signs on the racks. Evidently it is now possible to pay a $40 fee and get unlimited access for a year.

      In transit,
      Karen Sandness