Re: Minneapolis� Midtown Greenway: Good for biz , Good for bikes

  • Debra Efroymson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2011
      I was just in Minneapolis, cycled around the city, including on the Midtown Greenway, to get to restaurants, to the 'global village' (former Sears distribution center which now has a lot of restaurants, shops, a hospital, and apartments), and, yes, for the pure enjoyment of being on a bike in a safe and green place. And how exactly in a video does one distinguish between 'casual riders pedaling for relaxation and enjoyment' and those trying to get somewhere specific? I would tend to combine those goals -- relaxation, enjoyment, and transport -- if I lived somewhere that allowed me the option.

      Jan Gehl, who as far as I am aware is quite well respected, considers parked cars a great buffer for cyclists. I haven't asked him about the possibility of being doored by the passenger, but I do understand the logic of parked cars as protection from moving cars, if there were ample space to avoid getting hit by the door.

      I did hear that the Minneapolis shared bike system does not give the usual '1st 30 minutes are free' option, and is in fact quite expensive (I hope my friends were simply misinformed; I didn't have a chance to check at one of the stands what the payment system was). THAT would be to me a more serious problem than providing a really nice place to cycle that does happen to connect to parts of the city as well as, well, some lovely green spaces.

      Debra Efroymson, Dhaka