Re: Minneapolis� Midtown Greenway: Good for biz , Good for bikes

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2011
      I'm afraid I'm unimpressed.

      Are peds officially discouraged, or do they just find the facility too
      unpleasant or intimidating to use? Whatever the cause, they appear to
      be largely absent, except for joggers.

      Also, virtually all of the cyclists seen are obviously roadies on
      training rides or casual riders pedaling for relaxation and enjoyment.
      Very little actual transportation cycling evident here.

      Of course, the path appears to be adjacent to... pretty much nothing,
      mostly, so there's probably little reason to be there other than
      exercise and diversion.

      This just seems like yet another recreational MUP, resembling a real
      street not in the slightest.

      I'll bet the auto drivers like it, though. It gets the bikes out of the
      way.

      Looks like a bogus, feel-good project to me. Here's one way to
      evaluate: Real streets are used year-round. When we see shots of this
      facility taken in January, I expect it will be clear what it really is:
      a linear park.

      ~Doug

      P.S. Did I really see a bike lane sandwiched between parked cars and
      the curb? Nobody with even minimal competence in facilities design
      would build such a thing, and even the AASHTO manual would tell them not
      to. Of course, much of the dedicated portion of the Greenway appears to
      be of substandard lane width WRT AASHTO guidelines, as well. Either the
      designers didn't bother to review current best practices or (perhaps
      more likely) the city decided to do this on the cheap.

      --
      "Bread for myself is a material question.
      Bread for my neighbor is a spiritual one."

      ~Nikolai Berdyaev

      ==========================
      Doug Salzmann
      Kalliergo Networks, LLC
      PO Box 378
      Tiburon, CA 94920

      doug@...
    • Debra Efroymson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 28, 2011
        I was just in Minneapolis, cycled around the city, including on the Midtown Greenway, to get to restaurants, to the 'global village' (former Sears distribution center which now has a lot of restaurants, shops, a hospital, and apartments), and, yes, for the pure enjoyment of being on a bike in a safe and green place. And how exactly in a video does one distinguish between 'casual riders pedaling for relaxation and enjoyment' and those trying to get somewhere specific? I would tend to combine those goals -- relaxation, enjoyment, and transport -- if I lived somewhere that allowed me the option.

        Jan Gehl, who as far as I am aware is quite well respected, considers parked cars a great buffer for cyclists. I haven't asked him about the possibility of being doored by the passenger, but I do understand the logic of parked cars as protection from moving cars, if there were ample space to avoid getting hit by the door.

        I did hear that the Minneapolis shared bike system does not give the usual '1st 30 minutes are free' option, and is in fact quite expensive (I hope my friends were simply misinformed; I didn't have a chance to check at one of the stands what the payment system was). THAT would be to me a more serious problem than providing a really nice place to cycle that does happen to connect to parts of the city as well as, well, some lovely green spaces.

        Debra Efroymson, Dhaka