Re: [carfree_cities] conflict between cyclists and pedestrians

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 14, 2011
      =v= I don't know why, but the _New_York_Times_ has been pumping
      out anti-bicyclist stuff for most of the year. A transportation
      editor named Michael Grynbaum is thought to be part of the bias.
      Especially embarrassing was their coverage of a dispute over
      bike lanes in Brooklyn, in which they joined forces with the
      tabloid press in favor of car-crazies. (It turns out the bike
      lanes had solid support amongst the public *and* solid legal
      standing, two facts not evident in most of the coverage.)

      =v= So now they've sent somebody to Denmark to ferret out a
      handful of people who don't like bikes? Truly pathetic.
      <_Jym_>
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 14, 2011
        On Sep 14, 2011, at 8:08 AM, Mark Jaroski wrote:

        > It's pretty clear to me that the reporter's assignment was to find
        > somebody
        > in Copenhagen who's disgruntled with bike culture.

        Yes. NYT assignment during the manufactured controversy over the PPW
        bike lanes and a motorhead bikelash? Give me a break! (BTW the PPw
        bike lanes are supported by just over 70% of neighborhood residents--
        but the chief instigator of the campaing against them is the husband
        of the women NYDOT head Sadik-Khan replaced.)

        As usual, one pedestrian killed by a cyclists raises an outcry, but
        hundreds upon hundreds killed by motorists is just the cost of doing
        business.

        Usual hypocrisy. for you Nyawkers on the list, a bit of history:
        http://tinyurl.com/437ow23

        Rick
        http://www.bicyclefixation.com
        http://www.newcolonist.com