Re: [carfree_cities] conflict between cyclists and pedestrians

  • Mark Jaroski
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 14, 2011
      It's pretty clear to me that the reporter's assignment was to find somebody
      in Copenhagen who's disgruntled with bike culture.

    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 14, 2011
        =v= I don't know why, but the _New_York_Times_ has been pumping
        out anti-bicyclist stuff for most of the year. A transportation
        editor named Michael Grynbaum is thought to be part of the bias.
        Especially embarrassing was their coverage of a dispute over
        bike lanes in Brooklyn, in which they joined forces with the
        tabloid press in favor of car-crazies. (It turns out the bike
        lanes had solid support amongst the public *and* solid legal
        standing, two facts not evident in most of the coverage.)

        =v= So now they've sent somebody to Denmark to ferret out a
        handful of people who don't like bikes? Truly pathetic.
        <_Jym_>
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 14, 2011
          On Sep 14, 2011, at 8:08 AM, Mark Jaroski wrote:

          > It's pretty clear to me that the reporter's assignment was to find
          > somebody
          > in Copenhagen who's disgruntled with bike culture.

          Yes. NYT assignment during the manufactured controversy over the PPW
          bike lanes and a motorhead bikelash? Give me a break! (BTW the PPw
          bike lanes are supported by just over 70% of neighborhood residents--
          but the chief instigator of the campaing against them is the husband
          of the women NYDOT head Sadik-Khan replaced.)

          As usual, one pedestrian killed by a cyclists raises an outcry, but
          hundreds upon hundreds killed by motorists is just the cost of doing
          business.

          Usual hypocrisy. for you Nyawkers on the list, a bit of history:
          http://tinyurl.com/437ow23

          Rick
          http://www.bicyclefixation.com
          http://www.newcolonist.com