Re: [carfree_cities] Freewways, no; transit, yes!

  • Bob Matter
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4 6:56 AM
      On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Richard Risemberg
      <rickrise@...> wrote:

      > LA's proposed 710 freeway tunnel: a giant step backwards http://
      > tinyurl.com/3c63xsy
      >
      > Rick

      I'm in Minnesota right now attending the annual Henry George economics
      conference. I was delighted to see and ride the Minneapolis
      "Hiawatha" light rail system that is built upon a right of way that
      was to be used for an 8-lane highway!

      Photo: http://bit.ly/rmOgUP

      The bottom line is that transit increases land values. Henry George's
      suggestion is to tax that increase in land values and return the money
      to the community whence it came. However, like Clarence Darrow said,
      "It's too simple for most people to understand."

      -Bob Matter