Freewways, no; transit, yes!

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2011
      LA's proposed 710 freeway tunnel: a giant step backwards http://
      tinyurl.com/3c63xsy

      Rick

      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com

    • Bob Matter
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2011
        On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Richard Risemberg
        <rickrise@...> wrote:

        > LA's proposed 710 freeway tunnel: a giant step backwards http://
        > tinyurl.com/3c63xsy
        >
        > Rick

        I'm in Minnesota right now attending the annual Henry George economics
        conference. I was delighted to see and ride the Minneapolis
        "Hiawatha" light rail system that is built upon a right of way that
        was to be used for an 8-lane highway!

        Photo: http://bit.ly/rmOgUP

        The bottom line is that transit increases land values. Henry George's
        suggestion is to tax that increase in land values and return the money
        to the community whence it came. However, like Clarence Darrow said,
        "It's too simple for most people to understand."

        -Bob Matter