Re: [carfree_cities] civil disorder?

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2011
      > Anyone who has a new enough version of Office
      > might have a look at the PowerPoint presentation
      > to which the article links (I can't open it):

      =v= No need to be stuck with the expense of Microsoft
      Office upgrades with OpenOffice.org around. It's an
      open source office suite that handles more Microsoft
      formats than Microsoft does!

      =v= I was able to open the slideshow in OpenOffice
      version 3.1 (they're up to 3.4 beta now).
      <_Jym_>
    • Jason Meggs
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 15, 2011
        Way to go, Jym! (OpenOffice is far from perfect but it has many benefits and
        has been known to sometimes does a better job than M$ in opening their
        files, and it's free.)

        Meanwhile, I opened it, converted it, and sent it to Joel with this:

        "Wasn't sure if I can or should send to the whole list, will leave that to
        your discretion.

        Interesting stuff, a lot seen before and I could critique it a bit, but it
        suggests some opportunities for us if we read between the lines. For one,
        that previous reports have been inadequate in addressing issues. Also a bit
        out of date given the credible view that peak oil actually passed
        [already]."

        Then seeking a good source on that last bit, I found this interesting
        write-up.
        http://8020vision.com/2011/02/09/wikileaks-on-peak-oil/

        Jason

        On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Jym Dyer <jym@...> wrote:

        > > Anyone who has a new enough version of Office
        > > might have a look at the PowerPoint presentation
        > > to which the article links (I can't open it):
        >
        > =v= No need to be stuck with the expense of Microsoft
        > Office upgrades with OpenOffice.org around. It's an
        > open source office suite that handles more Microsoft
        > formats than Microsoft does!
        >
        > =v= I was able to open the slideshow in OpenOffice
        > version 3.1 (they're up to 3.4 beta now).
        > <_Jym_>

      • Jason Meggs
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 15, 2011
          Here's one on whether Peak Oil has already passed:

          http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=oil-petroleum-demand-developed-countries-alternative-fuel