Re: [carfree_cities] One-way streets

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
      Hi,

      Indeed, one-way streets (and streets with medians*) are anti-people.

      Unfortunately in e.g. Manhattan, new, separated-bicycle paths are being
      implemented on many of the wide north-south one-way Avenues. This has
      done wonders for increasing bicycle modal share, but now many cyclists
      are being "bike salmon
      <http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=salmon&defid=4847592>"
      (phrase comes from Bike Snob <http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/>), i.e.
      riding against traffic, also illegally. It is of course the natural and
      direct thing to do. /Who would ever suggest that pedestrians could only
      walk one-way on any street anywhere?/ So these paths push the Avenues -
      which were also two-way up until sometime in 1930's or so - further away
      from where they should be and still NYCDOT/Janette Sadik-Khan/Michael
      Bloomberg get lots of praise. Not sure if all of it is warranted.
      Unfortunately the official - and vocal - cycling lobby there will not
      bring this issue up, at least in public. To be fair, there are some
      useful two-way bike lanes on certain sections of roads in NYC.

      In many cities in Europe, in particular in Belgium, "contraflow cycling"
      is allowed on small one-way 30km/h or slower streets (where all vehicles
      mix). Some of these European streets ARE quite narrow and with no
      parking on either side, so wide vehicles can truly only go one way on
      them (of course there is a further option of not giving access to wide
      vehicles at all, and by the way in Belgium wider cargo bikes cannot ride
      legally against traffic) but most outside of the oldest parts of
      historical town centres are actually three-vehicle widths, with two of
      these for parking on either side. Most used to be two-way when used for
      horses, omnibuses and before there was any need for parking. So legal
      contraflow here is nice, but a compromise and sort of a historical
      deceit. Many of these streets are 50km/h streets, in particular in
      Central and Eastern Europe, and thus have no chance for legal contraflow
      and little chance for a lot of cycling, or care-free
      perpendicular-to-vehicular movement in the space between buildings (now
      bastardized into "crossing the street" -- probably every mobility or
      infrastructure definition needs a complementary semantic one!)

      - T

      * In car cities, people like traffic islands as a safety solution but of
      course the real one is bringing the shores closer together and/or
      lengthening the green for pedestrians.

      --

      Todd Edelman
      Green Idea Factory,

      Mobile: ++49(0)162 814 4081

      edelman@...
      www.greenidea.eu
      todd@...
      www.openbike.se

      Skype: toddedelman
      http://twitter.com/toddedelman

      Urbanstr. 45
      10967 Berlin
      Germany

      ***

      OPENbike - Share the Perfect Fit!

    • Chris Bradshaw
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2011
        One-way streets not only increase traffic speeds and convenience for
        drivers, they are inherently unsafe for pedestrians.

        All sidewalks have two-way foot traffic, but motorists only are thinking
        'one-way' and don't look for pedestrians coming from the other direction.

        Signs also often face only toward the one way, with blank faces on the other
        side.

        Speed limits in all urban areas on streets that have all modes of traffic
        should be no greater than the speed of cyclists, about 20-25 km (15 mph).

        Chris Bradshaw, Ottawa, Canada