Fwd: A Decade of Road Deaths on Google Maps

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2011
      John Mayson forwarded this to me and I thought everyone
      should know about it.

      I have been thinking for a while now that we need a way
      to force people to confront the level of carnage on our
      roads. "47,700" is just a number. The AIDS quilt was
      big enough to cover most of the Mall in Washington and
      probably changed public perception of the disease. We
      have to do something to make a real change in the way
      people view the deaths of vulnerable road users. This
      kind of map may be a start.

      Best,

      Joel

      >Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 14:18:35 +0000
      >Subject: A Decade of Road Deaths on Google Maps
      >From: John Mayson
      >To: "J. H. Crawford" <mailbox@...>
      >
      >I thought you might like this.
      >

      >Sent to you by John Mayson via Google Reader:
      >

      ><http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/GoogleMapsMania/~3/pFexWfv6tQg/decade-of-road-deaths-on-google-maps.html>A Decade of Road Deaths on Google Maps
      >

      >via <http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/>Google Maps Mania by Keir Clarke on 6/6/11
      >
      ><http://t4america.org/resources/dangerousbydesign2011/map/>Transportation for America
      >
      > From 2000 to 2010 more than 47,700 pedestrians were killed in the United States. Transportation for America's Dangerous by Design 2011 Google Map can show you fatalities within 60 miles of any address in the USA.
      >
      >To find out where pedestrians have been killed near your home in the first decade of this century simply enter your address into the map's search box. All the pedestrian deaths within a 60 mile radius will then be displayed on the map.
      >
      >If you click on a map marker you can view the details of the accident and view a Street View of where the fatality occurred.

      >Things you can do from here:
      >

      > * <http://www.google.com/reader/view/feed%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Ffeeds.feedburner.com%2FGoogleMapsMania?source=email>Subscribe to Google Maps Mania using Google Reader
      > * <http://www.google.com/reader/?source=email>Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your favorite sites

      J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities