One-way streets

  • mdh6214
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
      Reading _Carfree Times_ #62's feature article, "Beloved and Abandoned: A Platting Named Portland", one part caught my attention:

      "When streets in a grid become alternating one-ways, as in most downtowns, they create virtual 3-way intersections throughout an entire district, and achieve both safety and flow. Virtual 3-ways result also from traffic circles, as in Seattle and Vancouver, and from roundabouts, now gaining acceptance in America."

      Tallahassee has quite a few one-way pairs in and around the downtown and university area--I can count five currently in use. Judging by the fact that they all run through old areas and lined by pre-1950s, inner-suburb style houses, I'd make a safe bet that all these streets were, at some point, two-way, low-speed streets with parking on both sides. One downtown one-way pair was actually converted back into two-way a few years ago.

      Their conversion to one-way streets increased the speed limits to 30 mph (and actual speeds closer to 45 mph), and have turned them into divided highways that happen to have buildings in the medians. There is also an effect on property values, since an office at the "front" of a block is more valuable than one on the "back" of a block. Robert Moses would be proud.
    • Todd Edelman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
        Hi,

        Indeed, one-way streets (and streets with medians*) are anti-people.

        Unfortunately in e.g. Manhattan, new, separated-bicycle paths are being
        implemented on many of the wide north-south one-way Avenues. This has
        done wonders for increasing bicycle modal share, but now many cyclists
        are being "bike salmon
        <http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=salmon&defid=4847592>"
        (phrase comes from Bike Snob <http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/>), i.e.
        riding against traffic, also illegally. It is of course the natural and
        direct thing to do. /Who would ever suggest that pedestrians could only
        walk one-way on any street anywhere?/ So these paths push the Avenues -
        which were also two-way up until sometime in 1930's or so - further away
        from where they should be and still NYCDOT/Janette Sadik-Khan/Michael
        Bloomberg get lots of praise. Not sure if all of it is warranted.
        Unfortunately the official - and vocal - cycling lobby there will not
        bring this issue up, at least in public. To be fair, there are some
        useful two-way bike lanes on certain sections of roads in NYC.

        In many cities in Europe, in particular in Belgium, "contraflow cycling"
        is allowed on small one-way 30km/h or slower streets (where all vehicles
        mix). Some of these European streets ARE quite narrow and with no
        parking on either side, so wide vehicles can truly only go one way on
        them (of course there is a further option of not giving access to wide
        vehicles at all, and by the way in Belgium wider cargo bikes cannot ride
        legally against traffic) but most outside of the oldest parts of
        historical town centres are actually three-vehicle widths, with two of
        these for parking on either side. Most used to be two-way when used for
        horses, omnibuses and before there was any need for parking. So legal
        contraflow here is nice, but a compromise and sort of a historical
        deceit. Many of these streets are 50km/h streets, in particular in
        Central and Eastern Europe, and thus have no chance for legal contraflow
        and little chance for a lot of cycling, or care-free
        perpendicular-to-vehicular movement in the space between buildings (now
        bastardized into "crossing the street" -- probably every mobility or
        infrastructure definition needs a complementary semantic one!)

        - T

        * In car cities, people like traffic islands as a safety solution but of
        course the real one is bringing the shores closer together and/or
        lengthening the green for pedestrians.

        --

        Todd Edelman
        Green Idea Factory,

        Mobile: ++49(0)162 814 4081

        edelman@...
        www.greenidea.eu
        todd@...
        www.openbike.se

        Skype: toddedelman
        http://twitter.com/toddedelman

        Urbanstr. 45
        10967 Berlin
        Germany

        ***

        OPENbike - Share the Perfect Fit!

      • Chris Bradshaw
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2011
          One-way streets not only increase traffic speeds and convenience for
          drivers, they are inherently unsafe for pedestrians.

          All sidewalks have two-way foot traffic, but motorists only are thinking
          'one-way' and don't look for pedestrians coming from the other direction.

          Signs also often face only toward the one way, with blank faces on the other
          side.

          Speed limits in all urban areas on streets that have all modes of traffic
          should be no greater than the speed of cyclists, about 20-25 km (15 mph).

          Chris Bradshaw, Ottawa, Canada