Re: [carfree_cities] Small Car-Free Development in Portland OR

    Message 1 of 3 , May 8, 2011
      Rick posted this:

      >Twenty-nine small homes on 1/3 acre lot, pitched as being "where it's
      >easy and convenient to live car-free."

      They have moved the article here:

      http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com/BlogtownPDX/archives/2011/05/06/old-aristery-lot-will-become-29-car-free-micro-homes?oid=3896069&show=comments&sort=desc&display=

      It's very interesting. Anyone in Portland with a camera and
      some free time? It would be very interesting to have photos.

      Best,

      J.

      ----- ### -----
      J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... . http://www.carfree.com
    • Jon Koller
      Message 2 of 3 , May 8, 2011
        Speaking of small carfree developments, the Friends of Spaulding Court,
        stewards of Detroit's 99-year-old pedestrian street have recently completed
        the rehabilitation of a 3 bedroom townhouse and are making it available for
        rent May 15th. Three neighboring townhouses are occupied with one more to
        be opened this summer in this 20 unit complex.

        Located in the heart of agricultural North Corktown and a (mostly) traffic
        free 10 minute bike ride to all the city's major job, retail and
        entertainment hubs, Spaulding Court and the land around it (google 2737 Rosa
        Parks Blvd) have the potential to become one of the largest and most
        convenient car free areas in the country.

        For all sorts of good reasons, we're offering a nearly 50% permanent
        discount to households that don't own cars. That reduces the monthly rent
        we're asking for from $1500 (with a car) to $800 (without).

        If you're interested, write or call.

        Jon
        Friends of Spaulding Court
        313.288.9255