Carfree solution for Detroit

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8 11:33 AM
      Hi All,

      The following message was sent to Detroit Mayor Bing
      this morning. If you want to send an expression of
      support for this idea, please contact Mayor Bing:

      City of Detroit
      Executive Office
      Coleman A. Young Municipal Center
      2 Woodward Ave., Suite 1126
      Detroit, MI 48226

      313 224 3400

      Best,

      Joel

      Dear Mayor Bing,

      I read today's article in the Washington Post:

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/07/AR2011020705338.html?hpid=artslot&sid=ST2011020705726

      with great interest.

      I would like to propose what would be an ironic solution to Detroit's problems: take out the cars.

      I am the author of two books on carfree cities. While there are a great many advantages to this approach, the ones that may interest you the most are the huge savings in infrastructure development and maintenance costs. Your plan to basically abandon large swathes of the city and rededicate them to other uses is entirely consistent with the approach I have proposed. Your plan to build a light-rail system, presumably centered on downtown, is essential to my vision.

      The huge reductions in operating costs come precisely from the increase in density that you propose. Obviously, it costs a lot less to collect garbage, pave streets, and keep the lights on in a city where the utility runs have been dramatically shortened, the street widths cut by more than half, and a great many streets torn up.

      The technology required is all off-the-shelf with the exception of the container delivery system, which is not essential and which is simply an extension of well-proven automated container handling systems.

      Aside from the cash savings, the carrot for this is better street safety, the return of beauty to a once-beautiful city, and the chance to grow a sense of community in a long-battered city.

      Considerable information can be found on my web site:

      http://www.carfree.com

      This information is not entirely up to date, but is adequate for now. If you need full information, please consult my books, which are mentioned prominently on the web site.

      If I can be of any service whatever, please call on me. And best of luck whatever you may decide to do.

      Sincerely,

      Joel "J.H." Crawford

      ----- ### -----
      J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... . http://www.carfree.com
    • Jon Koller
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 8 7:11 PM
        I working on building a carfree Detroit and I've got to say, I think it's
        more likely to happen here than anywhere else. I'll avoid any long drawn
        out explanations here--it seems like shouting at the night sky to me--but if
        anybody on this list is curious or would like to help, I'm always happy to
        chat and would certainly appreciate any aid.

        -Jon
        spauldingcourt.com