What does Bingo have to do with the price of oil?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2011
      They're both covered in the new issue of The New Colonist, now in its
      11th year!

      Bingo, the Gentle Madness
      No matter the irresistible appeal of attempting to create something
      new in Las Vegas, there's an apparently even greater appeal found in
      bingo, as evidenced by the game's longevity. Having survived one
      Great Depression--and certain to last through this nation's latest
      economic downturn--this game clearly isn't just a fad that's going
      away soon.

      Foreclosed!
      It's July 2008 and my landlord ("Mr. Potter," in homage to It's a
      Wonderful Life) is waking me at 7 a.m. by banging on my window.
      Potter, who attempts to offset late middle-age by dyeing his hair an
      improbable shade between pink and orange, informs me, "Appraisers are
      coming soon to assess the building. Will you tell them your rent is
      higher than it really is?"

      High Price of Oil May Be Boon
      Not only is China, the country that produces a large portion of the
      goods sold at these retailers, trying to refocus its economy on high-
      tech and the like, which means higher wages for Chinese workers (they
      see the writing on the wall too), but the increasing price of oil,
      and thus shipping, will mean that it's more efficient to produce
      goods close to where they are consumed. So, the potential for the
      return of manufacturing and production to the U.S. could be in the
      cards.

      Eggleston's "Democratic Forest"
      "The Democratic Forest," explores what I call "blandscapes," those
      emotionally-hollow spaces that constitute James Howard Kunstler's
      "geography of nowhere." Graceless architecture, bleak streets,
      junkpiles and trashheaps, parking lots, odd ends of cars and traffic
      signs, elements of control and disorder jumbled together....

      Plus, don't miss Vox Civitas posts http://www.newcolonist.com/vox/
      vox.html

      Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-New-Colonist/
      49187823630?v=wall

      Best wishes (supplemented with action) for a more sustainable 2011.

      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com