China and food

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 23, 2010
      Hi All,

      I have long said that China has, in the long run,
      a choice between driving and eating. The article
      below suggests that this may already be happening,
      although it does not break out the amount of land
      lost to urbanization (i.e., suburban sprawl). Most
      of the physical expansion of cities in China occurs
      in the fertile coastal plain, the source of most
      of China's food.

      There are many causes, including industrial farming.
      The question is what China will do.

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/dec/23/china-ability-to-feed-population-warning

      Best,

      J.

      J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... . http://www.carfree.com
    • jane.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 24, 2010
        Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the article is referring not to farmland
        being converted to sprawling cities but to the farmers leaving their farms
        behind in favor of the higher wages at factory jobs in the cities.

        Jane