Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Cars and the New Insecurity

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 21, 2010
      On Dec 21, 2010, at 5:48 AM, mdh6214 wrote:

      > This sounds like class politics at its worst. Anybody who isn't
      > driving is supposedly one of two things:
      >
      > - Poor, unable to afford a car, and not paying their fair share, or
      > - Smug elitists who don't want cars or don't drive their cars
      > enough, and thus are not paying their fair share.
      >
      > Of course, neither of these two "groups" understands the "reality"
      > of "regular Americans" who "have to" drive everywhere.
      >
      > We're about to get bus and bike lanes on a major east-west street
      > here, which will reduce the driving lanes from six to four.
      > Meanwhile, another major east-west street is being narrowed from
      > four to two lanes and getting very wide sidewalks. Needless to say,
      > there's public outrage over this, because it'll supposedly only
      > benefit college students and near-downtown residents, all of whom
      > are out of touch with reality.

      And, of course, driving is so subsidized--that is to say, fees and
      taxes applied to cars, fuel, and drivers themselves cover so little
      of the cost of simply maintaining road infrastructure--that people
      who drive less, or not at all, are overpaying in general taxes to
      support the motoring hobbyists.

      Todd Litman has covered this at length at http://www.vtpi.org , and
      then there's this gem:

      http://tinyurl.com/276ytfb

      Rick
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com

    • mdh6214
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 21, 2010
        There's a photo circulating on the Internet that demonstrates this sense of entitlement. A student has tacked a flyer to an on-campus reserved parking sign reading "If I'm paying $22,000 per year in tuition, why can't the University provide adequate student parking?"

        This shows the attitude many people have: as a customer, student, employee, tenant, or visitor, they are "entitled" to free parking. The sense of "entitlement" only gets worse when someone is spending 1/4 of their income on car payments--"I'm paying $500 per month for this car; I can park wherever I want for free."

        IMHO, borrowing money for anything other than your home or education is dumb, but I won't go off-topic here. :-)