Transport, Environment And Public Policy In Hard Times + Grading Sustainable Transport:

  • eric britton
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2010
      Here are two recent articles in World Streets that may interest some of you
      here at Sustran:

      TRANSPORT, ENVIRONMENT AND PUBLIC POLICY IN HARD TIMES We have no money
      gentlemen, so we shall have to think. - Ernest Rutherford, on taking over
      the Caversham Laboratory in 1919

      On 2 December the managing editor of World Streets, Eric Britton, was
      invited by the organizers of the National Autumn Conference of ACT
      TravelWise to present the keynote address, following an opening presentation
      by Norman Baker, MP and Parliamentary Undersecretary of State for Transport
      of the just-elected UK coalition government. The theme of the conference was
      “The Right to Travel – Getting more for less” — and Britton was asked to
      bring in some international perspectives and possibly some less familiar
      ideas for the largely British audience after the Minister’s presentation . .
      .
      Click here for more:
      http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/2010/12/10/transport-environment-and-publi
      c-policy-in-hard-times/

      GRADING SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORT: SCHOLARSHIP A. LEADERSHIP C- One of the often
      voiced claims of World Streets is that those who best understand the issues
      and priorities behind sustainable transport and sustainable cities are
      failing to command the high ground in the debate and the politics of
      decision simply because we are just not good enough at communicating our
      ideas, first to each other and then to the world. All too often when
      confronted with a decision issue, with our strong academic orientation and
      backgrounds, we prefer to turn to the familiar world of more research,
      fatter reports and that next great conference, while at the end of the day
      what we really need is a concise, credible, understandable presentation of
      our best ideas and the choices that need to be made . . Click here for
      more:
      http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/2010/12/14/grading-sustainable-transport-s
      cholarship-a-leadership-c/