Future-opolis

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2010
      Hi All,

      See this AM's Guardian:

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/dec/02/report-redesign-cities-population-growth

      The video is cheesy, but "so few cars in the city center any more."

      a quote:

      "If we go on with business as usual, what happens is unmanageable levels of congestion because personal car ownership has proliferated," she said. "Cities could be a pretty nasty place to live for the two-thirds of the global population in the next 30 years if we don't act on things like climate change mitigation and adaptation, smarter use of resources and sorting out big systemic things like urban mobility."

      It's mostly about cars, but:

      City planning will also be important, she said, creating self-contained neighbourhoods where everything is accessible by walking or cycling.

      Best,

      J.

      J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... . http://www.carfree.com