$2.08 per gallon gas tax proposed

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2010
      Hi All,

      As part of a proposal to improve public heath while
      reducing the cost in the USA, a proposal has been
      made to raise gas taxes to $2.08/gallon. (Even this
      level of taxation does not pay the full externalized
      costs of driving.)

      http://www.culturechange.org/cms/content/view/684/1/

      You have to read down to:

      To pay for the federal government�s component of personal health care costs, a "health fee" on fossil fuel and nuclear energy (equating to $2.08 per gallon of gasoline, raising $683 billion per year) would be levied. This would also reduce our dependence on foreign oil, decrease environmental pollution, foster conservation and renewable energy technologies, and improve our foreign trade imbalance. Even with the new $683 billion �health fee� on non-renewable energy considered a tax, the Health Economy would reduce taxes by the federal, state, and local governments by $367 billion relative to 2007.

      Best,

      J.

      ----- ### -----
      J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... . http://www.carfree.com
    • Debra Efroymson
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 22, 2010
        RAISE it? I thought you meant lower it! What planet do Americans live on,
        anyway? :)

        J.H. Crawford                    .                    Carfree Cities
        mailbox@...              .            http://www.carfree.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links