Energy in NY Times

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2010
      Hi All,

      Many of you will want to take a look at this:

      http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/business/energy-environment/17FUEL.html?_r=1&scp=4&sq=energy&st=cse

      There Will Be Fuel

      NO SHORTAGE A Chesapeake Energy natural gas well near Burlington, Pa. Experts say the nation has gas reserves for 100-plus years.

      etc.

      Some of this is rather surprising. All of it is really bad news for the transition to sustainable energy and the protection of our climate.

      Best,

      J.

      ----- ### -----
      J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... . http://www.carfree.com
    • Tony Brewer
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2010
        > Hi All,
        >
        > Many of you will want to take a look at this:

        http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/business/energy-environment/17FUEL.html?_r=1&scp=4&sq=energy&st=cse

        > There Will Be Fuel
        >
        > NO SHORTAGE A Chesapeake Energy natural gas well near Burlington, Pa.
        > Experts say the nation has gas reserves for 100-plus years.

        Reality / sanity check at The Oil Drum:
        http://www.theoildrum.com/node/7119
      • chbuckeye
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 17, 2010
          This link is more on point:

          http://anz.theoildrum.com/node/7114#more

          But the Times article clearly shows that Americans are increasingly hopeful that they can continue to do things they car-dependent way.

          As another example, advances in electric vehicles and nuclear power are being cited as proof that we can continue our car-centric development, without any thought given to how we will maintain those millions of miles of roadway.

          Americans stubbornly refuse to change, until they absolutely have to. (At which point the wealthy change rapidly and the poor suffer.)