Re: [carfree_cities] carfree art

  • Chris Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 16, 2010
      Reversing the position of cars and bike-in-their-own-lanes is humorous on
      one level, thanks to the bicyclists getting the 'power' position in the
      centre lanes.

      But such an arrangement is also problematic. First, the cars, the far
      faster mode, no longer face each other from inches away, giving them a
      better level of safety, re: headon collisions. Second, the cyclists have
      nowhere to safely land if they simply fall over or find it difficult to get
      off the road to rest or make an adjustment. All roads use the principle of
      'speed layering' with the slowest travelers/modes on the outside, and higher
      speeds as you get nearer the center.

      We have a downtown street (Rideau) that mixes dedicated bus lanes in the
      curb position, and a shared car-bicyclist lane in the two centre positions.
      Thankfully, the signage allows the cyclists to take (the center of) the
      lane, but the timid ones (not wanting to annoy motorists) still ride on the
      lane marker between the motorists and the buses. You see, no matter the
      relative positions on the road, the car always has the edge in power.

      Chris Bradshaw, Ottawa