Re: small houses

  • mdh6214
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 15, 2010
      This is Tallahassee, FL, which is 100% sprawl, zero anything else. You can probably find the same legal absurdity in many American cities. Even "downtown", almost every building has attacked parking, and you can walk clear across downtown during rush hour and be the only non-homeless pedestrian.

      A quick check with the municipal code, and we have minimums, but no maximums. Variances are available, but I doubt they're granted. At one ordinance hearing, I mentioned the fact that many college students don't have cars, and I got blank stares.

      Houses: 2 spaces per house; 3 if it's 4 bedrooms; add one more if there's no on-street parking within 100'.

      Apartments: 1.5 spaces per studio; 2 per 1-bedroom; 2.5 per 2+ bedroom. 1:10 bicycle:vehicle spaces required.

      Mobile home parks: 2.25 spaces per unit.

      It gets even more absurd for commercial parking:

      "4 spaces/alley plus 2 for each billiard table plus required parking for other uses on the site."

      My personal favorite: elementary and middle schools. 2 spaces per classroom, 5:1 bicycle:vehicle parking (!), and "Bicycle spaces for teachers and visitors should be separate from spaces for students". High schools require one space per employee, 1 space per 6 students, and only 1:1 bicycle to vehicle parking spaces. In other words, high school students are expected to dump the bike and drive.

      Given that a local mall has several hundred parking spaces that receive zero use even on "Black Friday", they're probably chomping at the bit to not be told how many parking spaces they must provide.