small houses

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 14, 2010
      Hi All,

      See the CNN video on small houses in Tokyo:

      http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/11/12/japan.ultra.tiny.home/index.html?hpt=C1

      J.

      ----- ### -----
      J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... . http://www.carfree.com
    • mdh6214
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 15, 2010
        I've noticed this irony before: that local "forced parking" laws frequently require more space devoted to parking than to actual building space. I've said before, half jokingly, that you could brick in the parking spaces the city forced your house to come with and wind up with more floor space than the house itself.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 15, 2010
          On Nov 15, 2010, at 5:59 AM, mdh6214 wrote:

          > I've noticed this irony before: that local "forced parking" laws
          > frequently require more space devoted to parking than to actual
          > building space. I've said before, half jokingly, that you could
          > brick in the parking spaces the city forced your house to come with
          > and wind up with more floor space than the house itself.

          Indeed! In "The grove," a mall near my apartment in Los Angeles, the
          parking structure has a bigger foot print than the mall itself, and
          is seven stories tall to the mall's three!

          The mall itself is designed to mimic a European shopping street--even
          has a tram running down it, for a mighty 1/4 mile. People drive
          there, whirl up and up the helixes of the parking structure, take
          elevators down, and "walk" the mall.

          Things are changing, though: they recently had to double the amount
          of bicycle parking they provide, due to demand.

          Serviced by three transit lines as well, one of them a crosstown Rapid.

          Let me remind you of my friend Josef Bray-ali's article on how
          parking requirements actually inhibit development; read it here:

          http://labusinessjournal.com/news/2010/apr/26/putting-parking-its-place/

          RR
          http://www.bicyclefixation.com
          http://www.newcolonist.com
          http://www.rickrise.com

        • jane.
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 15, 2010
            Nice news! I notice more and more bicycles on the streets of L.A. each time I go
            back for a visit (every few years).

            Jane

            ________________________________
            On Nov 15, 2010, at 5:59 AM, mdh6214 wrote:

            > I've noticed this irony before: that local "forced parking" laws
            > frequently require more space devoted to parking than to actual
            > building space. I've said before, half jokingly, that you could
            > brick in the parking spaces the city forced your house to come with
            > and wind up with more floor space than the house itself.

            Indeed! In "The grove," a mall near my apartment in Los Angeles, the
            parking structure has a bigger foot print than the mall itself, and
            is seven stories tall to the mall's three!

            The mall itself is designed to mimic a European shopping street--even
            has a tram running down it, for a mighty 1/4 mile. People drive
            there, whirl up and up the helixes of the parking structure, take
            elevators down, and "walk" the mall.

            Things are changing, though: they recently had to double the amount
            of bicycle parking they provide, due to demand.

            Serviced by three transit lines as well, one of them a crosstown Rapid.

            Let me remind you of my friend Josef Bray-ali's article on how
            parking requirements actually inhibit development; read it here:

            http://labusinessjournal.com/news/2010/apr/26/putting-parking-its-place/

            RR
            http://www.bicyclefixation.com
            http://www.newcolonist.com
            http://www.rickrise.com

          • Jym Dyer
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 15, 2010
              >> See the CNN video on small houses in Tokyo:
              > local "forced parking" laws frequently require more space
              > devoted to parking than to actual building space. I've
              > said before, half jokingly, that you could brick in the
              > parking spaces the city forced your house to come with
              > and wind up with more floor space than the house itself.

              =v= Which city? Or do you mean a city with such laws in
              general?

              =v= San Francisco has a one parking space per unit policy
              for new construction. Developers typically design in even
              more parking than that. (Shortly before he died, Don Fisher,
              the evil CEO of the GAP who used to take his billions from
              sweatshop labor to meddle in S.F. politics, tried to ram
              through a ballot measure to give this policy the force of
              law. The citizens roundly rejected that.)

              =v= After years and years, this requirement has been relaxed
              for one small region of the city, a zone where there's lots
              of transit, where it's relatively flat (for easy bicycling),
              and where a lot of households are already carfree. What is
              a minimum in the rest of the city is the maximum there.

              =v= Even so, developers generally plan in too much parking,
              since that's how they're accustomed to thinking. They ask
              for variances because they (everyone whine in unison now)
              neeeeeeeeeeeeeed parking, and so far the city has granted
              every variance. :^(

              =v= There are a handful of developers coming up with designs
              that don't have that much parking, but overall progress is
              ridiculously slow.
              <_Jym_>
            • mdh6214
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 15, 2010
                This is Tallahassee, FL, which is 100% sprawl, zero anything else. You can probably find the same legal absurdity in many American cities. Even "downtown", almost every building has attacked parking, and you can walk clear across downtown during rush hour and be the only non-homeless pedestrian.

                A quick check with the municipal code, and we have minimums, but no maximums. Variances are available, but I doubt they're granted. At one ordinance hearing, I mentioned the fact that many college students don't have cars, and I got blank stares.

                Houses: 2 spaces per house; 3 if it's 4 bedrooms; add one more if there's no on-street parking within 100'.

                Apartments: 1.5 spaces per studio; 2 per 1-bedroom; 2.5 per 2+ bedroom. 1:10 bicycle:vehicle spaces required.

                Mobile home parks: 2.25 spaces per unit.

                It gets even more absurd for commercial parking:

                "4 spaces/alley plus 2 for each billiard table plus required parking for other uses on the site."

                My personal favorite: elementary and middle schools. 2 spaces per classroom, 5:1 bicycle:vehicle parking (!), and "Bicycle spaces for teachers and visitors should be separate from spaces for students". High schools require one space per employee, 1 space per 6 students, and only 1:1 bicycle to vehicle parking spaces. In other words, high school students are expected to dump the bike and drive.

                Given that a local mall has several hundred parking spaces that receive zero use even on "Black Friday", they're probably chomping at the bit to not be told how many parking spaces they must provide.