Income Equality as Indicator

  • Matt Thyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2010
      I wanted to pass along this OpEd recently published in the New York Times
      specifically, because it the author argues two points very effectively.
      First, when design is considered, be it the design of a city or an economy,
      experience demonstrates that special consideration needs to be paid to
      ensuring equality as a long term element of any plan. Second, because I
      believe that these two engineering practices, making cities and making
      economies, are necessarily both counterbalanced and contra-inductive.

      Hope you enjoy the up-sight as much as I have.

      Matt Thyer

      matt_thyer@...

      http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/business/17view.html?src=me
      <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/business/17view.html?src=me&ref=general>
      &ref=general

      Income Inequality: Too Big to Ignore

      By ROBERT H. FRANK

      Published: October 16, 2010

      "Another footprint of financial distress is long commute times, because
      families who are short on cash often try to make ends meet by moving to
      where housing is cheaper - in many cases, farther from work. The counties
      where long commute times had grown the most were again those with the
      largest increases in inequality.

      "The middle-class squeeze has also reduced voters' willingness to support
      even basic public services. Rich and poor alike endure crumbling roads, weak
      bridges, an unreliable rail system, and cargo containers that enter our
      ports without scrutiny. And many Americans live in the shadow of poorly
      maintained dams that could collapse at any moment."