LA's Ciclovia Huge Success

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2010
      Even the LA Times published a highly positive report on CicLAvia, the
      Los Angeles version of Bogota's ciclvias, a street opening that, by
      banning cars from certain streets for a day, frees them up for all to
      use in a peaceful, friendly, and highly social way. Interesting quote
      form teh article:

      > "We're alone in our cars. We pass above whole neighborhoods on
      > freeways and never actually see them. Today, I've seen buildings I
      > never took the time to lay eyes on before. Today gave people a
      > chance to just slow down and it connected the neighborhoods of the
      > city in a new way. That's important," said Rafael Navar, 32, who
      > was taking a break on the 4th Street Bridge with his brother,
      > sister-in-law and their three young kids.
      >
      > People also talked with a sense of surprise that the city felt
      > smaller and more manageable Sunday. Many said that, when they set
      > out, they had expected the journey from East Hollywood to Boyle
      > Heights would take far longer and be far more arduous than it was.
      >
      > It was not lost on Cyndi Hubach, 49, and Kevin Mulcahy, 45, that
      > the 45 minutes or so they took to cover the route may have been
      > faster than what it would have taken in typical stop-and-go
      > traffic. For them, and many others, that realization led to musings
      > of what life could be like in Los Angeles � a city inhospitable to
      > cyclists.

      Link to the article:

      http://tinyurl.com/28vkkwo

      Reported attendance of 100,000!