Re: [carfree_cities] reflections on death by auto

  • Chris Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2010
      As a multi-election Green Party candidate in Canada, I usually campaigned by
      bike, or should I say trike, as I used a hand-built recumbent cargo trike,
      so I could carry signs and posts and installation tools with me.

      The hit-and-run aspect of this particilar collision is becoming too
      tragically common. It must be the increased weight and size of the average
      motor vehicle, meaning the impact is less jarring to the driver. Even
      though population obesity has also increased during the same period, those
      walking and cycling are probably less likely to be affected by that.

      The mention of what the victim was wearing -- whether she had
      retroreflective top-layer of clothing -- seems to be calculated to assauge
      driver guilt, even though there is no requirement to wear it (although most
      jurisdictions require retroreflective gear on the bike). What the reporter
      didn't mention is whether the cyclist was hit by other vehicles as a result
      of the first driver to hit her not stopping to aid her and divert other
      drivers around the spot on the road she landed.

      Is there any book that truly measures the impact of the car on the
      vulnerable? Aren't speed limits too high and vehicle sizes too large for
      use on mixed-mode roadways?

      Chris Bradshaw, Ottawa, Canada