Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Carfree: Possibly of interest

  • Jason Meggs
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2010
      Would be nice to be able to check how car ownership changed over time.

      Anyone from the UK know if access to vehicle registration records exist?

      Of course a survey could be conducted.

      Jason

      On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 5:48 PM, J.H. Crawford <mailbox@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for sending thia along. Joel
      >
      > At 2010-10-02 06:12, you wrote:
      > >Of possible interest � something I spotted whilst on vacation:
      > >
      > ><http://www.transportpolicy.org.uk/Future/CarFreeRoads/CarFreeRoads.htm>
      > http://www.transportpolicy.org.uk/Future/CarFreeRoads/CarFreeRoads.htm
      > >
      > >Regards,
      > >
      > >Francis.
      >
      > ----- ### -----
      > J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities
      > mailbox@... <mailbox%40carfree.com> . http://www.carfree.com

    • Chris Bradshaw
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2010
        > Would be nice to be able to check how car ownership changed over time.

        This is a good point.

        One of the ways to describe the benefits to the local community of
        carsharing is the fact that the users have to walk a lot further to (and
        back from) 'their' car each trip. As parking spaces are reduced to moved
        further from the car-owners, usership should decline.

        That distance is important to the carsharing company, which must locate cars
        so that this walking distance will fit the length, in time, of the typical
        trips. Each trip has, to the trip-maker, a certain value, for which
        reaching the car is a cost that must be in a certain proportion to that
        value. Car-rental can work with fewer locations and more cars for each,
        since uses are 1-3 days each, while car-sharing, with average uses of 3.5
        hrs, need a tighter 'fabric' of locations. That led to the business model
        in which the locations are not staffed, the users must be accepted as
        members and issued an ID card to gain access on their own, and members fill
        out forms after each use, and when the gas tank gets low, is obligated to
        refill it (with the carsharing company's credit card, or a system of
        reimbursement).

        I often muse how much cars would be used -- or owned -- if there were a law
        requiring each owner to park his car at least as far away from his home as
        the closest transit stop.

        Chris Bradshaw
        Ottawa, Canada
        former carshare provider; current carshare user.