Re: Carfree: Possibly of interest

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2010
      Thanks for sending thia along. Joel

      At 2010-10-02 06:12, you wrote:
      >Of possible interest – something I spotted whilst on vacation:
      >
      ><http://www.transportpolicy.org.uk/Future/CarFreeRoads/CarFreeRoads.htm>http://www.transportpolicy.org.uk/Future/CarFreeRoads/CarFreeRoads.htm
      >
      >Regards,
      >
      >Francis.

      ----- ### -----
      J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... . http://www.carfree.com
    • Jason Meggs
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2010
        Would be nice to be able to check how car ownership changed over time.

        Anyone from the UK know if access to vehicle registration records exist?

        Of course a survey could be conducted.

        Jason

        On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 5:48 PM, J.H. Crawford <mailbox@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for sending thia along. Joel
        >
        > At 2010-10-02 06:12, you wrote:
        > >Of possible interest � something I spotted whilst on vacation:
        > >
        > ><http://www.transportpolicy.org.uk/Future/CarFreeRoads/CarFreeRoads.htm>
        > http://www.transportpolicy.org.uk/Future/CarFreeRoads/CarFreeRoads.htm
        > >
        > >Regards,
        > >
        > >Francis.
        >
        > ----- ### -----
        > J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities
        > mailbox@... <mailbox%40carfree.com> . http://www.carfree.com

      • Chris Bradshaw
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2010
          > Would be nice to be able to check how car ownership changed over time.

          This is a good point.

          One of the ways to describe the benefits to the local community of
          carsharing is the fact that the users have to walk a lot further to (and
          back from) 'their' car each trip. As parking spaces are reduced to moved
          further from the car-owners, usership should decline.

          That distance is important to the carsharing company, which must locate cars
          so that this walking distance will fit the length, in time, of the typical
          trips. Each trip has, to the trip-maker, a certain value, for which
          reaching the car is a cost that must be in a certain proportion to that
          value. Car-rental can work with fewer locations and more cars for each,
          since uses are 1-3 days each, while car-sharing, with average uses of 3.5
          hrs, need a tighter 'fabric' of locations. That led to the business model
          in which the locations are not staffed, the users must be accepted as
          members and issued an ID card to gain access on their own, and members fill
          out forms after each use, and when the gas tank gets low, is obligated to
          refill it (with the carsharing company's credit card, or a system of
          reimbursement).

          I often muse how much cars would be used -- or owned -- if there were a law
          requiring each owner to park his car at least as far away from his home as
          the closest transit stop.

          Chris Bradshaw
          Ottawa, Canada
          former carshare provider; current carshare user.