Re: [carfree_cities] Irrigation systems

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2010
      > Surely, any carfree area expecting 24-hour use--if there
      > were irrigation systems at all--would use drip pipes or
      > downward-spraying sprinklers that don't waste the majority
      > of the water coming from them.

      =v= I would hope so, but the panhandle path in San Francisco's
      Golden Gate Park has been doing the opposite for as long as
      anyone can remember (three decades, at least). They waste a
      lot of water on paths, spraying riders and amblers, despite
      longstanding drought conditions.

      =v= Last year they tested a new Irritation System (in the
      middle of the day, naturally):

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/jym/3752081889/

      It didn't change a thing.

      =v= There are efforts towards permeable surfaces in some cities,
      since so much concrete and asphalt keeps rainwater from the
      aquifers and diverts them into overtaxed sewage systems. In
      some cases this means special paving blocks that water soaks
      into (until they're blocked with gunk), and in other cases
      it means breaking up concrete and putting in landscaping.

      =v= Not to harp on the foolishness of San Francisco's city
      government again, but in some cases they're doing this on
      too-narrow sidewalks, where a landscaped bulbout or would
      be far more appropriate:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/jym/537867865/

      It's pretty frustrating when good ideas get implemented in
      a way that ruins other good ideas!
      <_Jym_>