Irrigation systems

  • mdh6214
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2010
      After seeing one irrigation system too many dump thousands of gallons of water on pavement, I have to ask: are there any cities that enforce ordinances pertaining to irrigation system spillover? Surely, any carfree area expecting 24-hour use--if there were irrigation systems at all--would use drip pipes or downward-spraying sprinklers that don't waste the majority of the water coming from them.

      Of course, the best solution is to just landscape with plants that can survive the local climate.
    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2010
        > Surely, any carfree area expecting 24-hour use--if there
        > were irrigation systems at all--would use drip pipes or
        > downward-spraying sprinklers that don't waste the majority
        > of the water coming from them.

        =v= I would hope so, but the panhandle path in San Francisco's
        Golden Gate Park has been doing the opposite for as long as
        anyone can remember (three decades, at least). They waste a
        lot of water on paths, spraying riders and amblers, despite
        longstanding drought conditions.

        =v= Last year they tested a new Irritation System (in the
        middle of the day, naturally):

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/jym/3752081889/

        It didn't change a thing.

        =v= There are efforts towards permeable surfaces in some cities,
        since so much concrete and asphalt keeps rainwater from the
        aquifers and diverts them into overtaxed sewage systems. In
        some cases this means special paving blocks that water soaks
        into (until they're blocked with gunk), and in other cases
        it means breaking up concrete and putting in landscaping.

        =v= Not to harp on the foolishness of San Francisco's city
        government again, but in some cases they're doing this on
        too-narrow sidewalks, where a landscaped bulbout or would
        be far more appropriate:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/jym/537867865/

        It's pretty frustrating when good ideas get implemented in
        a way that ruins other good ideas!
        <_Jym_>