Shared Spaces Inquiry

  • Jason Meggs
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2010
      Hi,

      Perhaps some from Europe can help with perspectives ~~

      There's some excitement in Berkeley, CA USA to pursue a campaign around
      Shared Space/Shared Streets.

      The idea being this is the next step toward having more people walk and
      bicycle, comprehensive traffic calming, and the possibility of more carfree
      spaces.

      However! There are some objections out there, and I'm just beginning to find
      sources on the topic.

      At the recent Carfree Cities Conference in York, England, I wrote down a
      quote:

      "Pedestrians at grade moved us back in many cases."

      Does anyone have perspectives on this? Resources? Case studies? Do people
      feel more or less comfortable here?

      Esp. helpful to find ways to address concerns of people with disabilities.

      Jason