Carfree San Juan?

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12, 2010
      San Juan (Puerto Rico) will make large areas car-free in effort to
      revive city life:

      http://tinyurl.com/32xvpvz

      Rick
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com

    • Pascal van den Noort
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 2010
        Ergo Crosswalk

        'Ergo crosswalk' by Jae Min Lim from korea is one of the 240 shortlisted entries from more than 5100 participants in a recent designboom competition 'design for all' in collaboration with seoul design fair 2010. Designer's jae min lim: 'when people cross roads, they tend to take the fastest shortcut. they sometimes do it intentionally, but mostly it is an unconscious act. This kind of action violates the traffic regulations and sometimes threatens the safety of the pedestrians. The 'ergo crosswalk' is a design that makes people follow the law, as well as consider their habits or unconscious actions. It will encourage pedestrians to follow the lines of the cross walk and protect them from any potential danger. If regulations cannot force people to follow the law, wouldn't it be more reasonable to change the law and fulfill the main purpose of keeping the safety and convenience of the pedestrian? Velo Mondial notices that Zebra crossings, Pelican Crossings and other pedestrian crossing issues are in debate at many places now. Pedestrian safety is becoming an increasingly important issue. Read on here.

        Pascal J.W. van den Noort
        Executive Director Velo Mondial

        operations@...
        +31206270675 landline
        +31627055688 mobile phone

        Click here to follow Velo Mondial's Blog

        Visit Velo Mondial's blog here

      • Pascal van den Noort
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 17, 2010
          ThinkBike in mini 'Amsterdam Bike Slam' format

          The City of Toronto and the Consulate General of the Kingdom of the Netherlands are hosting bicycle planners on September 20th and 21st for the ThinkBike Workshop. For Velo Mondial Arjen Jaarsma from Balancia will be the leader of the Dutch delegation. Toronto and Dutch bicycle professionals will form two teams for this event. The teams will consider new elements to improve Toronto's cycling strategy. Each team will be given a Toronto cycling infrastructure problem to solve, the exercise will including drafting recommendations for marketing and communications. The two teams will be competing to develop the most exciting proposal. Explore the necessary treatments to convert the existing bicycle lanes along Sherbourne Street, from Queen�s Quay Boulevard to Elm Avenue, to a design that will provide a physical separation between bicycle lanes and the general purpose traffic lanes. Explore design options for locations where other bicycle lanes intersect Sherbourne Street. Intersection designs will consider existing on-street facilities, as well as physically separated design options for future development. Velo Mondial sees this ThinkBike Workshop as a mini format that precedes the new and improved version of the 'Amsterdam Bike Slam' that we will offer the world imminently. Read more here.