[NewMobilityCafe] Paul A. Barter - New parking policy blog: Reinventing Parking

  • Pascal van den Noort
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2010
      My new colleague Karim Maarek has the following contribution for this discussion:

      Building underground parking, or better ways to spend public money
      In Amsterdam it�s quite fashionable to build underground car parks. All seven city districts have multiple projects in various stages of execution. The former district of Oud-West (since 2010, part of the larger district West), with only 31.000 inhabitants, at one time had seven different plans of which four had been formalized into actual administrative decisions. Running between 45.000 Euros (if you're very lucky) and 90.000 Euros (if you're very unlucky) per spot, these are multimillion euro projects that are for the most part paid for publically with parking taxes. Parking hardliners on one end and greens on the other have found each other on the basis of creating quality public space above ground for functions such as playgrounds. But the question isn�t asked if this is the most cost-effective way to spend those millions. Oud-Wests� annual budget for car sharing promotion was just 40.000 Euros. Even offering people a premium for their cars and parking rights is a lot cheaper. Or how many low-cost P&R spots could be created on the city edge? With P&R, car sharing and high parking rates the same results can be achieved for far less. Then Oud-Wests� former district heads advice to spend this money differently in hard economic times can be followed.

      Pascal J.W. van den Noort
      Executive Director Velo Mondial

      operations@...
      +31206270675 landline
      +31627055688 mobile phone

      Click here to follow Velo Mondial's Blog

      Visit Velo Mondial's blog here