Re: [carfree_cities] Parking Costs, Bike vs Car

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21 9:20 AM
      http://tinyurl.com/2fehcjn

      http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2012662360_bikeparking19m.html

      | The local bike-parking improvements cost taxpayers more than
      | $1,200 per space -- but that's still far below auto parking.
      | Sound Transit spent about $37,500 per stall in the 2008 Mercer
      | Island park-and-ride rebuild.

      =v= I am very glad the _Seattle_Times_ presents the costs of
      both types of parking. Most coverage I come across tends to
      highlight the total cost of all bicycle improvements, with no
      attempt to compare it with the staggeringly-higher costs of
      accommodating cars.

      =v= So much of the motoring public clings to the notion that
      roads and parking are free, like butterflies and rainbows, and
      that any attempt to get them to pay for a greater fraction of
      it is a violation of their Gawd-given rights.
      <_Jym_>