Re: [carfree_cities] carfree phone app

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8, 2010
      Hi All,

      Sorry to be so late in responding to Mark Lobjoit's
      post of the 4th.

      I'm rethinking this whole question.

      Maybe the thing to do is to compare a very limited set of
      examples, rather than try to write universal software.

      A few years ago, Rob Matthews wrote and excellent paper:

      http://www.carfree.com/papers/Matthews_CarfreeSpace.pdf

      The Production of Sustainable Urban Space

      This paper compared the Wallingford neighborhood in Seattle
      with the Reference District. Wallingford is widely regarded
      as one of the best residential neighborhoods in Seattle.
      However, on measures of accessibility to shopping and green
      space, it performed surprisingly poorly compared to the
      Reference District, and it is one of the older, close-in
      suburbs built at somewhat higher density than contemporary
      suburbs. (I think it could be argued that it's not a suburb
      at all, but a part of the city proper.)

      If we were to take Wallingford, for which good data is
      already available, and compare it on energy measures to
      the Reference District, I think we might have a convincing
      set of data.

      Any thoughts?

      Best,

      Joel