carfree phone app

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2010
      Hi,

      Are there any developers of phone applications on this list?

      I'm thinking we need some sort of application that compares
      energy consumption of carfree living with auto-centric
      living. May a web app, instead of a phone app.

      Ideas?

      Joel

      ----- ### -----
      J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... . http://www.carfree.com
    • Mark Lobjoit
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2010
        Here are a couple of UK web site examples that I know of and have
        successfully used for route planning.

        http://www.transportdirect.info/ does a pretty good job for journeys within
        the United Kingdom. The CO2 emissions are also calculated for journeys
        within cities so you can compare train/bus/tube/walk combinations vs. car.

        Example:
        CO2 emissions calculator
        Full Itinerary for Sun 04 Jul 10 leaving after 07:55
        FromToLeaveArriveDurationAberdeen AirportExeter International Airp...14:31
        07:14
        (05/07)16hr 43 minsTravelling by: Bus, Train, Underground, Walk
        CO2 emissions for your journey of 664.7 milesDistance Units miles km
        The graph below may be difficult for screenreader users. We recommend that
        you select the Show table view link to see the data in a table.
        Your journey
        [image: Emissions bar chart]
        62.6 kg
        For comparision if you travelled 664.7 miles by:
        Small Car only[image: Small car icon with emissions]
        [image: Emissions bar chart]
        136.4 kg
        with 1 2 3 4 5 occupant(s)Large Car only[image: Large car icon
        with emissions]
        [image: Emissions bar chart]
        275.3 kg
        with 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 occupant(s)Train only[image: Train icon with
        emissions]
        [image: Emissions bar chart]
        61.7 kg
        Coach only[image: Coach icon with emissions]
        [image: Emissions bar chart]
        32.1 kg
        Plane only[image: Plane icon with emissions]
        [image: Emissions bar chart]
        182.9 kg
        Low
        Medium
        High
        v.High
        0
        kg of CO2 per traveller
        276

        Your journey would create 212.7 kg of CO2 less per traveller than travelling
        by large car.

        http://walkit.com/cities/?welcome has good planning tools for walking a
        number of UK cities:

        Example: Putney to Stoke Newington (both in London, about 10 miles)

        http://tinyurl.com/2u6rzmj

        http://walkit.com/walk/?city=london&from=Putney&fuid=457406_505460&to=Stoke+Newington&tuid=434855_459983&rta=old&direct=0

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2010
          Thanks, Mark.

          I should have been clearer. I'm not talking specific
          journeys but comparative ways of living. So, for
          instance, let's compare living in a suburb of New
          York City with living carfree in the city itself.
          How much energy do you use (the average person)
          to get to work, heat/cool the house, and so forth.
          One leg of the comparison could be the Reference
          Design for carfree cities.

          What I aim to do is show people how energy-intensive
          auto-centric suburbs are compared to less car-dependent
          places, and to places where there are no cars.

          Best,

          Joel

          ----- ### -----
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2010
            On Jul 3, 2010, at 2:05 PM, J.H. Crawford wrote:

            > I should have been clearer. I'm not talking specific
            > journeys but comparative ways of living. So, for
            > instance, let's compare living in a suburb of New
            > York City with living carfree in the city itself.
            > How much energy do you use (the average person)
            > to get to work, heat/cool the house, and so forth.
            > One leg of the comparison could be the Reference
            > Design for carfree cities.
            >
            > What I aim to do is show people how energy-intensive
            > auto-centric suburbs are compared to less car-dependent
            > places, and to places where there are no cars.

            Good goal, but it seems more suited to a web page than a phone app,
            which would be better served by something similar to Walkscore but
            returning total energy footprint for a given area, plus a
            characterisation assigned to it based on local factors drawn from
            databases, eg "Suburban--highly wasteful; Euro- Asian-, or US-urban,
            with different sized footprints; carfree-lite; carfree." Various
            reference designs could be included as parametric examples.

            Would require a partnership with various DB owners,, along the model
            of Walkscore.

            RR
            http://www.bicyclefixation.com
            http://www.newcolonist.com
            http://www.rickrise.com

          • Mark Lobjoit
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4, 2010
              Hi Joel,

              I see what you are getting at now. The sites I mentioned are a part of that
              overall goal for those who are motivated but are not specifically focused on
              your aim of promoting carfree living.

              There are also quite a few sites which take a "lifestyle" approach and have
              sections for car ownership, transport and commuting as part of calculating a
              carbon footprint (carbon footprint calculators).

              One approach would be to do a search of such existing sites and rank them
              according to their closeness to your own goals and approach the most
              promising from the point of view of making a partnership. It may be that
              they have access to a line of funding which would be available for promoting
              the same or similar goals. It may not even require much beyond a certain
              amount of "tweaking" to highlight the choices you advocate.

              I think we should also bear in mind that policy, economics and marketing at
              central government level may take these choices out of individuals' hands.
              For example on a recent trip to the UK, I was astonished to find that for
              many journeys, the rail ticket pricing was so eye-wateringly expensive that
              it was in fact cheaper to rent a car for a single occupant even.

              Also, housing costs in central London are in many cases so extreme that it
              is out of the question for many people to even think about living close to
              their place of work. Additionally, dependence on public transport severely
              limits people's job opportunities. These are factors which are out of
              individual's hands - why would someone give up their car if it meant also
              being out of a job? How can someone move nearer to their place of work if
              they don't earn enough to do so?

              Having said all that, I quite agree with putting the information in front of
              as many of those who can choose as possible, while not forgetting that here
              is a larger battle to win: the freedom to choose.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 8, 2010
                Hi All,

                Sorry to be so late in responding to Mark Lobjoit's
                post of the 4th.

                I'm rethinking this whole question.

                Maybe the thing to do is to compare a very limited set of
                examples, rather than try to write universal software.

                A few years ago, Rob Matthews wrote and excellent paper:

                http://www.carfree.com/papers/Matthews_CarfreeSpace.pdf

                The Production of Sustainable Urban Space

                This paper compared the Wallingford neighborhood in Seattle
                with the Reference District. Wallingford is widely regarded
                as one of the best residential neighborhoods in Seattle.
                However, on measures of accessibility to shopping and green
                space, it performed surprisingly poorly compared to the
                Reference District, and it is one of the older, close-in
                suburbs built at somewhat higher density than contemporary
                suburbs. (I think it could be argued that it's not a suburb
                at all, but a part of the city proper.)

                If we were to take Wallingford, for which good data is
                already available, and compare it on energy measures to
                the Reference District, I think we might have a convincing
                set of data.

                Any thoughts?